Finding a solution often means asking related questions, to gather information that aids in building a theory for the solution. Do you follow?
Concerning a Leaky Gut, a good question to ask yourself is: HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?
It’s a fairly simple question with more than a few answers. Leaky Gut can be caused by a range of things, sometimes even, working together to erode the strength of your gut barrier.
Here are some of the major causes of abnormal intestinal permeability:
- Chronic stress
- Prescription hormones such as the birth control pill
- Processed foods (dyes, preservatives, peroxidized fats)
- Refined sugars (sodas, candy, white bread, cookies, etc.)
- Bacterial infections
- Lack of sleep
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDs (ibuprofen and other related drugs)
- Gluten consumption
- Excessive exercising and training
Some people will look at this list and say, “OH NO! I have/consume/do every single one of these.” That’s okay. Let’s look at how to combat Leaky Gut:
1. Do your best to avoid chronic stress
2. Reduce inflammation – Reduce the amount of alcohol and caffeine consumed – If you have chronic physical pain caused by inflammation instead of relying on NSAIDs try eating more spices and foods that are naturally anti-inflammatory like: Turmeric, Cloves, Rosemary, Ginger, Animal based Omega-3 fats, Garlic, leafy greens
3. Help your gut flora do their job the right way – Take Probiotics which help replace good bacteria when you lose them and lower the amount of bad bacteria that cause damage and infections
4. Get plenty of Glutamine – If you’re doing it the Paleo way, drink bone broth!
5. Your dairy should be pastured (if possible cut out dairy totally)
6. Cut out gluten altogether – That’s High-gluten wheat flour, European spelt, barley, rolled rye flakes
7. Make sure that Vitamins A & D are prominent in your diet as well as fiber
It’s possible that doing just one of these things or cutting out one part of your current diet could drastically change your gut health. It’s also possible that you’ll need to make some sweeping changes. Each body is different. The good news is that eating Paleo will cover a lot of these steps for you! Not only that, but changing your diet completely might make some of the other changes feel easier! Until next time.